Monday, February 13, 2017

#4 The Great Digital Divide

My experience with twitter so far is pretty nice. I enjoy twitter since I can easily see what is going on with the things I like. I don't really interact with many people on twitter. 

I'm not entirely comfortable with posting stuff on the internet for everyone that wants to see it. As for using twitter when I am a future parent, I can't really say. There could always be a new app to come through and push twitter to the way side, but twitter is useful for students to expand their ways of finding information. 

The digital divide makes it hard for some students to type papers, or access online materials because there isn't a computer at home. Some of the causes of the digital divide are socioeconomic status and the budget of the school a student attends. 

As a teacher there will be many children from different walks of life and not all of them will have access to the internet or a computer at home. One of the challenges to help these students is to make sure they can work on their projects at school so they can familiarize themselves with technology so they are not at such a disadvantage when they go to collage or into the workforce. 

I think the student software that would be used the most in a classroom would be the Microsoft Office applications. They seem to be the go software programs that student can learn on. 

Take 11th grade for instance. Some of them will be doing presentations and need a slide show for visual aid. They would be writing papers so Word would be what they need for formatting and meeting the requirements of the paper in English classes. Excel is also a program that 11th grade student could use in Math to teach them formulas to calculate data on a table. 

The content of assignment 3 was actually relevant as a student. I can think of many times where using a management program or google docs would help our group paper move much smoother. 

I'm not sure where these programs will help me in my future career. The best answer I could give is using skype to communicate with different field offices when there's a major case in more than one state. 

The ah-ha moment I had was at the end when the video played showing every application explained through out the course in action in some way or another. 

The flow of the course was smooth as it could be. The one technical difficulty I had was not knowing that pressing enter on the written portion submitted the response I had typed. The only recommendation I would make is mixing the volume so it plays at one volume throughout or just having a volume bar for the course because some parts were louder than other. For the most part this e-course was very simple and intuitive. It's very easy to follow and understand all the information given. 

3 comments:

  1. I agree with the idea that the Microsoft suite is something that is valuable for all students to learn and be familiar with. It is software that will be used throughout ones academic and professional career.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the volume of the e-course, but found the course to be overall beneficial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a little shy when it comes to posting on Twitter also, especially because I am never sure what to post.

    ReplyDelete